What`s your favourite german gun?

[quote=“Man_of_Stoat”]

I’m actually intrigued now – what do you think the definition of an SMG is?[/quote]
i think its a machine gun using pistol bullets, and pistol bullets are 9mm compare to rifles 7.62mm?
i am a really newbies on guns, so it can be very wrong

I’m actually intrigued now – what do you think the definition of an SMG is?[/quote]
i think its a machine gun using pistol bullets, and pistol bullets are 9mm compare to rifles 7.62mm?
i am a really newbies on guns, so it can be very wrong[/quote]

Yes, you are wrong. If you thought it was a machine gun using pistol bullets, why did you say it was a submachine gun for its low fire rate?

Have you been paying attention to what you have been moderating for the last six months or so?

Right: Basic remedial firearms 101 –

Starting small:

Handguns – in modern military terms, these come in two types: revolvers, and automatic pistols.

Revolvers – hold their ammunition in a number of separate chambers arranged in a circle. Each chamber is sequentially brought into line with the barrel on firing. Typically double action – this means that either the hammer can be thumbed back, and then dropped by use the trigger, or by pulling the trigger fully through, the hammer is raised and then lowered in one go. There also exist “double action only” revolvers, in which the hammer cannot be thumbed back manually, and “single action only” a revolvers, in which the trigger cannot be pulled through and the hammer must be thumbed back manually. These typically require rimmed ammunition. If rimless ammunition is to be used, Moon clips are required for ejection. Don’t know what this means? Google it! Examples: various Smith & Wesson and Colt revolvers.

Automatic pistols – this is somewhat of a misnomer, since automatic pistols are semiautomatic (i.e. one shot per trigger pull). Ammunition is held in a magazine, typically in the pistol grip. Can be locked breech or unlocked breech, depending on the pressure of the cartridge. Are typically for rimless ammunition, although semi rimmed and even rimmed ammunition is not unheard-of. Examples: Browning high-power, Colt M 1911, Walther PPK.

Handgun calibres typically range from .22 inch to .50 inch

Long arms – are further subdivided into different categories, which are themselves further subdivided.

Rifles – long bang sticks fired from the shoulder. Are an individual weapon.

Carbines -- shorter bang sticks fired from the shoulder.  Subdivision of rifles.  Usually fire the same ammunition as the rifle.  E.g. No.5  Carbine, Mosin-Nagant M44 Carbine, US M1 Carbine (this is an exception for the ammunition rule).

Submachine guns -- fully automatic carbines firing pistol ammunition.  Subdivision of carbines, and indeed were originally known as machine carbines in British parlance.  Are known as machine pistols in German parlance.  E.g. MP 40, Thompson.

Battle rifles -- semiautomatic or select fire rifles firing full power rifle ammunition.  E.g. Garand, svt 40, fal, G3

Assault rifles -- various definitions exist, but the most common seems to be select fire rifles firing intermediate power cartridges effective to at least 300 m.  E.g. MP 44, AK-47, M-16

Machine guns – Crew served fully automatic weapons firing full power rifle ammunition, or indeed heavier ammunition.

Light machine guns – typically magazine fed, and fired from the shoulder, typically off a bipod. Some also have the option of mounting to a tripod, for use as a substandard medium machine gun. Fire full power rifle ammunition. E.g. Bren

Medium machine guns – typically belt fed, and fired from a tripod or other mount. Fire full power rifle ammunition. E.g. Vickers

Heavy machine guns – typically belt fed, and fired from a tripod or other mount. Fire ammunition which is more powerful than full power rifle ammunition, e.g. Browning M2 .50 BMG (n.b. during World War I, medium machine guns were known as heavy machine guns, since there was nothing heavier at the time).

General purpose machine guns – typically belt fed, these can be configured as light machine guns (in which role they are a touch heavy) or as medium machine guns (in which role they are a touch light). Fire full power rifle ammunition. E.g. MG 34, MG 42.

Cheers MoS!

I’d say the MP40 :smiley:

i am a really newbies on guns, so it can be very wrong[/quote]

Yes, you are wrong. If you thought it was a machine gun using pistol bullets, why did you say it was a submachine gun for its low fire rate?

Have you been paying attention to what you have been moderating for the last six months or so?

Right: Basic remedial firearms 101 –

Starting small:

Handguns – in modern military terms, these come in two types: revolvers, and automatic pistols.

Revolvers – hold their ammunition in a number of separate chambers arranged in a circle. Each chamber is sequentially brought into line with the barrel on firing. Typically double action – this means that either the hammer can be thumbed back, and then dropped by use the trigger, or by pulling the trigger fully through, the hammer is raised and then lowered in one go. There also exist “double action only” revolvers, in which the hammer cannot be thumbed back manually, and “single action only” a revolvers, in which the trigger cannot be pulled through and the hammer must be thumbed back manually. These typically require rimmed ammunition. If rimless ammunition is to be used, Moon clips are required for ejection. Don’t know what this means? Google it! Examples: various Smith & Wesson and Colt revolvers.

Automatic pistols – this is somewhat of a misnomer, since automatic pistols are semiautomatic (i.e. one shot per trigger pull). Ammunition is held in a magazine, typically in the pistol grip. Can be locked breech or unlocked breech, depending on the pressure of the cartridge. Are typically for rimless ammunition, although semi rimmed and even rimmed ammunition is not unheard-of. Examples: Browning high-power, Colt M 1911, Walther PPK.

Handgun calibres typically range from .22 inch to .50 inch

Long arms – are further subdivided into different categories, which are themselves further subdivided.

Rifles – long bang sticks fired from the shoulder. Are an individual weapon.

Carbines -- shorter bang sticks fired from the shoulder.  Subdivision of rifles.  Usually fire the same ammunition as the rifle.  E.g. No.5  Carbine, Mosin-Nagant M44 Carbine, US M1 Carbine (this is an exception for the ammunition rule).

Submachine guns -- fully automatic carbines firing pistol ammunition.  Subdivision of carbines, and indeed were originally known as machine carbines in British parlance.  Are known as machine pistols in German parlance.  E.g. MP 40, Thompson.

Battle rifles -- semiautomatic or select fire rifles firing full power rifle ammunition.  E.g. Garand, svt 40, fal, G3

Assault rifles -- various definitions exist, but the most common seems to be select fire rifles firing intermediate power cartridges effective to at least 300 m.  E.g. MP 44, AK-47, M-16

Machine guns – Crew served fully automatic weapons firing full power rifle ammunition, or indeed heavier ammunition.

Light machine guns – typically magazine fed, and fired from the shoulder, typically off a bipod. Some also have the option of mounting to a tripod, for use as a substandard medium machine gun. Fire full power rifle ammunition. E.g. Bren

Medium machine guns – typically belt fed, and fired from a tripod or other mount. Fire full power rifle ammunition. E.g. Vickers

Heavy machine guns – typically belt fed, and fired from a tripod or other mount. Fire ammunition which is more powerful than full power rifle ammunition, e.g. Browning M2 .50 BMG (n.b. during World War I, medium machine guns were known as heavy machine guns, since there was nothing heavier at the time).

General purpose machine guns – typically belt fed, these can be configured as light machine guns (in which role they are a touch heavy) or as medium machine guns (in which role they are a touch light). Fire full power rifle ammunition. E.g. MG 34, MG 42.[/quote]
no, actually believe me or not, i just assume you know i am talking about submachine gun, so i left it behind and didnt type “sub” for some reason, but thats a very good info, thanks MoS

Nothing like a well reasoned explanation, is there?

As the poll is entitled favourite German gun I suppose any reason would do, wouldnt it.

I can say, I like the MP-40 as it makes the best Ice Cream Scoop of any German gun.

Thats just as valid as any other reason.

I think the poll is wrong anyway, it should be favourite German small arms, as hardly anyone has mentioned guns.

What about the 150mm Infantry Gun? I bet you could get loads of Rasberry Riple out with that baby!

Ok, now I made a stuped misstake there :oops:, but thank you Cuts for your remark there I realy loved it so much that I would say that you are actualy one.

Now, lets get down to what I realy want to say. Ok yes I would like to say that I am sorry fo calling the MG-42 a heavy machine gun and the MP-40 and MP44 machine guns. The MP-40 was a sub-machine gun and the MP-44 was a assult rifle. Thus I did made a ass out of myself for that. The Mg-42 was the most fearsome machine-gun because of the sound it makes and it was because of the distinctive sound due to and exceptionally high rate of fire.

So again I am sorry for my misstake.

Henk

If I was at least I’d be useful ! :smiley:

Whereabouts do you live ?

Check your PM.

Henk

Check this…there was a 20 mm Solothurs anti-tank rifles for sale in the U.s in the late 50s for less than 200 dollars…a bargain… :shock:

The S-18-1000 in North afrika.

Another picture of the Solothurn S 18-1000

More on the Solothurn S 18-1000 from “The Encyclopedia of Infantry Weapons of World War II” by Ian V. Hogg (Bison Books, 1977, pp 146-147)

i believe they should have put this rifle on tanks, and try to make that a secondary weapon, then it would be deadly :twisted:

Not a good ideea FW, secondary weapon on tanks “deals” with infantry. And Solothurn is semi-automatic.

Not a good ideea FW, secondary weapon on tanks “deals” with infantry. And Solothurn is semi-automatic.[/quote]
why not?
to have a 50mm main cannon
then have a 20 mm anti tank rifle against light tanks
then have a MG 42 for infantry

Because it would be utterly redundant, require a lot of engineering to make it fit somewhere, and would be at best marginally effective. Where exactly are you going to put it? Who is going to crew it?

Oh, and by the way, German tank secondary armament was an MG 34, not an MG 42, due to the barrel changing system.

Can you please give me some pictures and info on the MG-34 please. I always thoght that they had a MG-42 as secondary fire on their tanks, I just never looked at the secondary fire of tanks. Very stupid of me! ! !

I also think it is a waste to fit a anti tank rifle to a tank because the main gunner deals with tanks and the other gunner with the infantry wich is a tanks second biggest enemy.

Henk

for the individual soldier, the MP 44 revolutioned the world, everyone want a weapon like these. Don’t forget, it was the first on its class.
The MG 42 is so good, its still in service en some armies. Was te inspiration for the M 60. 8)

Please avail yourself of the perfectly adequate searching features of Google. Stoatgle is a searching service you can’t afford.