World War related bickering

i have a tea green hills as breakfast

i prefer earl grey’s english breakfast tea with sausage, bacon, black pudding, mushroom and tomato for breakfast myself.

yeah! bacon and mushroom :stuck_out_tongue:
i don`t like tomato.and fried eggs

i can’t eat egg it makes me violently sick.

what is/who is tinwalt???

Just for the hell of it…

The K-class submarine (built late in WW1) was steam powered. They were also absolutely catastrophic, about the only redeeming feature being that some of their crew survived sailing aboard them! Little minor flaws like taking 11 minutes to dive would not have helped the submarine if they had actually had to take part in wartime operations…

Ordered: April 1918
Laid down: July 1918
Launched: 26.08.1919
Towed away to: H.M. Dockyard Chatham 1920
Completed: September 1923
Dimensions (in feet): Length 351.5 feet, Width 28 feet, Draught 16.5 feet.
Displacement: Surface:2,140 tons. Submerged:2,770 tons.
Machinery:
Surface:
2 geared steam turbines driving twin shafts = 10,000 shp = 23.5 knots 2 Yarrow oil fired boilers @ 235 pounds per square inch.
Submerged: 2 electric motors = 1,400bshp = 9 knots.
Armaments: 10 Torpedo Tubes: 6 x 21 inch bow. 4 x 18 inch beam. 3 x 4 inch guns.
Complement: 65 officers and ratings.

Can’t find a decent photo though - they’re all rather grainy :frowning:

:roll: [/quote]

But they were used in an assault, does that not make them assault rifles? It made the M1 an assault rifle and they’re as close to being an assault rifle as an M1 was.[/quote]

The M1 Garand has none of the characteristics of an assult rifle, as does the M1 Carbine. Do you see the difference now?

A 1940’s era assult rifle? Oh yes indded, it certainly was. Please do not compare modern AR’s with their prototypes of previous generations! That is a gross error of thinking my friend.

That’s like saying a 1940’s race car is not a race car because it is slow as phuck compared to a 2005 race car. :wink:

Can you stay on topic please?

Race cars are defined by intended use, assault rifles are defined by concrete characteristics.

And as pointed out elsewhere, the Stg.44 is no less modern an assault rifle than the AK47.

No less modern than the AK47? Pleeeease. You’re trying to sqeeze reality into a circle to fit a square concept.

And short-barelled large capacity fast-firing rifles are intended for laying down heavy firepower… and assaults. OH wait! I meant all of them except the M1 Carbine ofcourse! :roll:

That is true Mr. Schätzer, it is a light rifle, and as such, it did not shoot pistol ammunition. Albiet a weak rifle, but effective at it’s maximum effective range, as are all weapons. It may not be effective at 600m, like a standard or sniper rifle, but it was a dandy little weapon.

does this quote mean that a standard rifle is effective at 600 metres unlike the M1 carbine, IRONMAN?

A greater number of men who received that esteemed award in WWII were using the M1 Carbine it seems, and most of those were using it as an assult rifle. burp. Ofcourse, those who received the Medal of Honor are but a small sampling of the tens of thousands of men who killed with one (especially in the Pacific Theatre burp), and also of those who used on in an assult role, for which the weapon was ideally suited. belch

Do you have gut trouble? :shock: :? I’ve got half a packet of Rennies here, your welcome to them.

Edited to add: I work for a firm that sells little blue pills, they might help add to your “Iron” manliness! :wink:

Wait, I could do with some rennie, Ive jsut had some of my mothers
errr salt chilli con carne,
She killed someone with it once you know!

Now I seem to remember I had the idea of paraphrasing that in the “Erwin’s goodbye” thread…

Now I seem to remember I had the idea of paraphrasing that in the “Erwin’s goodbye” thread…[/quote]

ok.

abandon the fight with erwin / argentina-england.

just continue,ok?

Now I seem to remember I had the idea of paraphrasing that in the “Erwin’s goodbye” thread…[/quote]

ok.

abandon the fight with erwin / argentina-england.

just continue,ok?[/quote]

I merely mentioned that because great minds think alike

Looks like TW is on for another night of boldlygoing on and on. Lucky for me that I am still carring on my quality assessment of the remains of the case of Carlsberg purchased from Tesco for the goodly sum of ten of the Queens pounds. I dont care what galaxy you are from, that gotta be good value.

Careful Largebrew,
IRONMAN, might have missed the question that I was asking him

Ill jsut ask again incase he has missed it.

That is true Mr. Schätzer, it is a light rifle, and as such, it did not shoot pistol ammunition. Albiet a weak rifle, but effective at it’s maximum effective range, as are all weapons. It may not be effective at 600m, like a standard or sniper rifle, but it was a dandy little weapon.

does this quote mean that a standard rifle is effective at 600 metres unlike the M1 carbine, IRONMAN?

IRONMAN, this question requires no referencing, It either needs az yes or a no response.
I am aware that you feel we have evaded questions but please answer this one.

While slavery is indeed a terrible thing…

I agree that the issue of state’s rights was important, but there is another issue that was equally important and was as much a cause for succession from the Union as that. The economy of the south was dependant upon slave labor. The wealth of those who owned large plantations in the south was exceeding, and this in part caused a cultural rennaissance (save for the practice of slavery) for many southerners. During the heyday of the plantation owners wealth, there were people in the south that had more money than they knew what to do with, and some took up that pass time of gambling fortunes away on the riverboats without it effecting their wealth. The homes of those people had some the most expensive furnishings in the world - carpets from India, crystal from Ireland and Sweden, Tiffany furnature, etc. As a result, most of the politicians and government officials came from wealthy farming families. This wealth created an environment which allowed for the spending of free time for utter leisure and the persuit of artistic endeavours, thus some of the nation’s greatest authors, artists, and military leaders of the era bloomed from the south. During this time, some of the nation’s most academically respected universities were born in the south, and the wealthy only got wealthier and more educated. The proportion of wealthy-to-poor for farmers went through the roof. It is because of the tremendous wealth of those families that most of the cities in the US to this day which have the most millionares per capita are in the south.

Vicksburg, MS is a perfect example. It’s a city of 60,000 and a great percentage of the businesses there are owned by a handfull of families - very old money in the form of undestroyed antibellum homes, shipping facilities, and land that was not taken by the US government. This condition exists throught the southern US today.

If slavery were abolished, the economies of those states would have carshed. The cultural renaissance of the south would have ended, and the south would have lost the pride it had in having it’s family members enjoy a life of high education, wealth, and comfort. These losses would have caused the south to loose to the north in what might be considered a war of wealth and stature. The mere thought of thier families being reduced to what they would have considered “the working class of the northern industrial cities” was something that they could not swallow. All of the people who had become very wealthy because of it would have lost their shirts, as most did because of the war anyway.

To those rich plantation owners, on whom much of the southern economy was interdependant, the thought of losing their labor force and having to pay salaries to run the farming and shipping was unacceptable. The southerners were fighting as much for their way of life and the retention of their wealth as they were for any other cause, possibly more. The issue of state’s rights was perhaps more than the greater issue at hand; a means of protecting their economy from certain destruction by the loss of slavery.

Im from the South West and we still have slave labour, we just don’t tell London about it. Its great!

student-scragley, I prefer coffee, black, moderately strong. Thanks.